Monday, June 11, 2012

Age 18

At the vulnerable age of fourteen, I developed Anorexia.

My continuous denial left me in a state of panic when I was admitted into hospital at just 36 kilograms. Scenarios and ugly thoughts raced through my mind about the girls I'd be sharing a room with. The typical stereotype of an Anorexic was immediately demolished once I was settled in my hospital bed, reading a book, when three girls entered my curtain.

The words they spoke will never be forgotten. They told me I'm not alone, I'm not the only person this way and that they are here to help. The first time I had heard any of this.

After 4 years battling this disease, I recovered. I will forever dedicate my life to promote positive body image for those girls who don't understand how truly beautiful and admirable they really are.

I look in the mirror, and like so many girls, I often don't like what I see. All I need to do is believe what I am promoting, that beauty comes in all shapes and sizes. I recovered from a deadly disease; I am strong enough to fight off something as deadly as cancer. What has any underweight model achieved?

I am a survivor.

And I prefer that over perfection.